This healthy Noodle Bowl with Peanut Sauce features a rainbow of fresh veggies and fruit, with cool noodles and a spicy peanut sauce. It’s both vegan and gluten free, and ready in less than 15 minutes!
Perfect for a healthy lunch or a bright and nutritious dinner, this Noodle Bowl with Peanut Sauce is packed with vitamins.
It’s full of fresh colourful vegetables and fruit, paired with cool noodles and dressed with a cold sauce, making it a lovely choice for a cooling meal on a hot summer day.
Ingredients in this Noodle Bowl
This healthy Noodle Bowl features:
• Vermicelli glass noodles
I used Rooster brand Vermicelli Longkou Pancit Sotanghon, which are made of green beans and peas. These Vermicelli are a light and lovely glass noodle that is not starchy or heavy. I highly recommend using this type of noodles instead of regular rice noodles (though rice noodles work well too!)
• Baby carrots
I used a small variety from the local farmer’s market. Feel free to use large carrots chopped or peeled into ribbons.
• Breakfast radishes
These lovely radishes have a beautiful white and bright pink colour. You can of course use any variety of radishes you wish.
I used nice in seasons organic peaches that are filled with flavour. You can substitute with apricots if you prefer.
• Sweet peas
These are also commonly called peas in a pod. They look lovely in this bowl in the pod, but you can remove them from the pod if you like. The peas are edible and while the pods technically are too, they’re tough to chew and so are commonly just discarded (or composted!)
You can use any type of fresh greens that suits your fancy!
• Garlic scapes
Used to garnish. These very mild garlic-like vegetables are common at summertime farmer’s markets. If you don’t have any on hand you can instead use a bit of chopped leek or green onion, or omit.
Ingredients in Spicy Peanut Sauce
• Smooth natural peanut butter
• Soy sauce
• Maple syrup
You can substitute with agave syrup if you prefer
• Sesame oil
Toasted sesame oil gives a savoury depth of flavour.
You can use rice wine vinegar or white vinegar
• Ground ginger and garlic
• Lemon juice and dried red pepper flakes
Used to achieve your desired consistency
Tips for the Best Noodle Bowl
There are some easy ways to get the most flavour out of this gorgeous rainbow hued noodle bowl!
The first tip is also a must when making any kind of salad.
This all important tip is to always dry your vegetables and fruit!
If you don’t both to dry your produce after washing and preparing it, you will loose out on flavour. Why? Well, adding slightly wet vegetables and fruit to a salad will cause the excess water to accumulate at the bottom of your bowl. This mixes with your ingredients and your dressing, watering down the flavour.
Trust me, it makes a big impact when you take the extra few moments to dry your salad and bowl contents!
The second tip to make this Noodle Bowl with Peanut Sauce excerptionally tasty is:
Rinse your Vermicelli noodles thoroughly with cold water and dry them!
After draining your Vermicelli glass noodles, rinse under cold water, moving around the noodles with your hands to ensure they are chilled all the way through. A cold noodle bowl will always taste better with nicely cold noodles rather than noodles somewhere between warm and cold.
After rinsing in cold water allow water to strain out of the noodles, giving them a little shake in the strainer. Place them on top of a tea towel or paper towel to dry further while you assemble your bowl!
Noodle Bowl with Peanut Sauce
- 8-10 baby carrots
- 6-8 breakfast radishes
- 2 peaches
- 1 head lettuce
- 12 sweet peas
- 2 garlic scape optional
- 2 nests/servings Vermicelli glass noodles ( I used Rooster brand Vermicelli Longkou Pancit Sotanghon, which is made of green beans and peas).
Spicy Peanut Sauce
- 6 Tbsp peanut butter
- 1.5 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- .5 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2-1 cup water to desired consistency
Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Mince the garlic finely and add to a small bowl.
- Add all ingredients aside from the water and whisk together until smooth.
- Slowly pour 1/2 cup or up to 1 cup water until your desired consistency is reached. Whisk until mixed.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Add 2 nests (or servings) of Vermicelli glass noodles and cook according to package directions.
- Drain noodles and rinse well with cold water until noodles chilled throughout. (Ensure noodles have been well drained and are fairly dry so they don't add water to your bowl).
- Wash, dry and cut up all vegetables and fruit.
- Arrange noodles, vegetables, and fruit evenly into 2 large bowls.
- Divide peanut sauce into 2 small dip bowls, or drizzle desired amount of peanut sauce onto each noodle bowl.
Looking for more healthy lunch recipes? Try my Spicy Buffalo Lettuce Cups!