The best quick and simple recipe for Easy Vegan Egg Salad, made of medium firm tofu, vegan mayonnaise and seasonings.
I’ve tried a lot of plant-based eggless salad recipes, which inspired me to create a no fuss Easy Vegan Egg Salad recipe, with the perfect consistency and balance of seasonings.
Made of tofu cut into small cubes, this mixture has just the right amount of creamy vegan mayonnaise.
My recipe also call for a bit more turmeric than the typical vegan egg salad mixtures I’ve seen out there. This amount of turmeric is needed for that earthy taste to mimic the flavour of egg, and to get that pronounced yellow colour.
Let’s take a look at the ingredients in my quick and Easy Vegan Egg Salad!
Ingredients in Easy Vegan Egg Salad
- Medium firm or firm tofu (Your tofu should hold together nicely and not be too soft and not overly hard. Do not use silken tofu here)
- Vegan mayonaise (I use Helman’s Vegan Mayo but you can use a homeade variety or any store bought vegan mayonnaise).
- Nutritional yeast (It adds a ton of nutrients, colour and a depth of flavour with a slight nuttiness. Any vegan eggs without nutritional yeast is a waste of your time! My favourite brand is Everland Nutritional Yeast. It’s full of nutrients and has the best taste.
- Yellow mustard (I prefer a simple yellow mustard rather than a dijon which can be too tangy and overpowering).
- Black salt (or kala namak as it’s also called, which by the way is pink in colour, not black is a staple of any vegan pantry. It has an eggy smell and flavour that is perfect for vegan eggless dishes).
- Turmeric (For that slightly musky and earth flavour and brilliant yellow hue).
- Dried or fresh dill (It adds a bright herby taste and fresh flavour to this egg salad).
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Romaine lettuce (You can use any lettuce but the crispness of romaine goes nice here. I use 1 large leaf chopped into the mixture and a nice big whole leaf within each sandwich).
- Radishes (Optional, sliced breakfast or watermelon radishes give a pretty colour as well as a tanginess to this egg salad).
- Sandwich bread (A nice fresh loaf of bread from the local bakery, your bread-maker or oven will do best!)
You can shop the quality ingredients I used for this recipe here:
Add-ins to your Easy Vegan Egg Salad
This recipe calls for sliced radishes to add a lovely colour and crunch in your vegan egg mixture. A breakfast or watermelon variety of radish gives a lovely punch of colour and tangy taste. Adding radishes is totally optional and can be easily omitted for a more simple egg salad.
I use dill in this vegan egg salad, as herbs always up the flavour and give a bright sweet flavour that blends nicely in this mixture. Again, the addition of fresh or dried dill is optional.
Chopped lettuce in the mixture adds interest to the texture and colour, but can also be left out if you want to keep it really simple.
Other optional add in ideas are:
- Chopped dill pickles
- Chopped celery
- Green onions
- Garlic scapes
Storing Your Mixture
You can definitely make this Easy Vegan Egg Salad mixture ahead of time if you like. This is handy to do if you’re having guests over for a simple elegant lunch of tea and sandwiches.
Be sure if you’re making it ahead of time to store the mixture in a bowl in the fridge and then make the sandwiches fresh before consuming. This way the bread doesn’t get soggy!
You can store this mixture in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Do not freeze this vegan egg salad mixture! Freezing tofu changes its consistency. While frozen tofu has its use in many recipes, it won’t work for egg salad.
You can serve this mixture in wraps, toasted bread or in a croissant as well. My favourite is freshly made on a soft quality artisanal bakery sandwich bread!
Easy Vegan Egg Salad
Easy Vegan Egg Salad
- 1 block medium firm or firm tofu drained and patted dry
- 6 Tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 3/4 tsp black salt (kala namak)
- 2/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp dried dill
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 radishes thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 leaf romaine lettuce chopped (optional)
- 2 large leaves romaine lettuce
- 4 slices sandwich bread
Easy Vegan Egg Salad
- Chop the tofu into small cubes and add to a bowl.
- Add in the vegan mayonnaise, nutritional yeast, yellow mustard, black salt, and turmeric. Gently mix. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add sliced radishes and 1 lettuce leaf chopped, and stir.
- Add a generous serving of the vegan egg salad to 2 slices of bread. Add one large leaf of lettuce overtop the 2 slices. Top each slice with another slice of bread and serve.
Looking for more vegan sandwich recipes? Try my Smoky Maple Tofu Sandwich!
Leave a Reply