Protein-packed and filled with flavour, this comforting Vegan Tofu Mexican Stew is great for summer family-style dinners. Red beans, crumbled tofu and lots of refreshing lime juice and spices make up this dish. Garnish your stew with fresh slices of jalapeño, bits of green onion, citrus and corn tortilla chips.
Ingredients in Your Vegan Tofu Mexican Stew
Firm tofu that is pressed, crumbled and lightly sautéed. Make sure to use firm tofu, not silken or soft which has too high of a water content and will dilute the flavours of your stew. It’s also important to press your tofu to get the excess water out!
Filled with fibre, folate, and protein, these beans give major nutrients to your stew. You can use any other type of bean you’d like, but Kidney Beans pair so well with tofu and they give a classic taste to this stew.
Garlic brings a sweetness to any dish when it’s sautéed. Don’t skip the garlic!
A touch of oil softens the onions before being added to the stew pot.
Onion offers a sweet and savoury addition to the vegan stew that goes so nicely with the kidney beans.
Finely Chopped tomatoes:
I use canned Mutti finely chopped tomatoes, but you can use any brand or chop up some fresh ones if you prefer.
A must-use seasoning for a Mexican stew, it gives a slight smokiness with a touch of heat.
The sweet and spice of paprika gives a depth of flavour to the stew. I recommend using classic paprika and not smoked paprika. The smoked variety adds too much of a strong flavour to this stew but that is a personal preference.
Fresh Lime Juice:
Fresh lime juice gives a brightness to this Mexican stew and enhances all of the other flavours.
A cup of water is used to thin out this stew but you can use veggie broth instead.
How to Make Vegan Mexican Tofu Stew
- Sauté the onions in oil until they’re soft and translucent.
- Then, add the chili powder, garlic, and paprika.
- Now, add the red Kidney beans.
- Next, add the canned finely chopped tomatoes and lime juice. Stir all together and let simmer.
- While the stew cooks, press your tofu then sear the firm tofu in a skillet, and mash it with a fork to crumble it.
- Once the tofu is golden brown, add it to the stew pot and cook a few more minutes
Serving & Garnishing Your Stew
Once your Vegan Mexican Tofu Stew is done, add a big heaping to a bowl and adorn it with garnishes. Place a small handful of corn tortilla chips standing up at the edge of the bowl. Slice up about half a jalapeño and neatly place in the stew. Sprinkle a helping of chopped green onions or chives over your bowl of stew. Lastly place a lime wedge or slice. You can even add a sprinkle of vegan cheese to top it off!
Vegan Mexican Tofu Stew
Vegan Tofu Mexican Stew
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 cup onion
- 1 can finely chopped tomatoes 28 ounce
- 2 cans red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 3 Tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1-2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 block form tofu
- 1/2 small jalapeño
- handful corn tortilla chips
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1 lime sliced
Vegan Tofu Mexican Stew
- Warm the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Sauté the onions until they're translucent and soft, approximately 7 minutes.
- Add all remaining stew ingredients. Bring pot to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the stew is simmering, press your tofu with a tofu press. (Ensure most of the water is removed so that your stew doesn't taste watered down).
- In a skillet, warm some oil. Add the tofu block and mash with a fork until crumbled. Sauté for 8 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Add your crumbled tofu to the stew pot and stir to combine. Cook another 5 minutes.
- Serve and garnish with lime, jalapeño, green onion and tortilla chips.
Looking for more healthy and delicious vegan stew recipes? Try our Winter Roasted Squash & Tomato Stew!