Easy Vegan Thai Curry Paste made with ground red bell pepper and green onions, a mix of spices and maple syrup, giving it a depth of flavour.
This is the BEST Easy Vegan Thai Curry Paste you will ever taste. Full of flavour, this curry paste has a mix of heat and a touch of sweetness that gives it a delicious depth. You will never buy store bought curry paste again!
Making Easy Vegan Thai Curry Paste
It takes less than 10 minutes to make hands down the best curry paste of your life. It’s ideal to use a hand blender or a food processor for this recipe. You can, however, make it by hand.
Traditionally, curry pastes are slowly pounded into a paste in a granite mortar and pestle. The hand grinding really makes the aromatic flavours come out. But, most of us don’t have time for that, and you will still get those big flavours with a little help from a modern kitchen gadget.
Ingredients for an Aromatic Flavour
This recipe for the best Easy Vegan Thai Curry Paste uses a red bell pepper as its base (but you can use any colour of pepper), along with simple ingredients. This paste is complex tasting and bursting with flavours. The savoury and spicy of the garlic, green onion, chilies and spices mix with the sweetness of maple syrup and acidity of lemon to make pure perfection.
How to Use Your Curry Paste
Add this curry paste to any dish you hope to infuse with curry flavour.
The most common way to use a red Thai curry paste is in a coconut curry. Once you’ve prepared your paste, add a few heaping spoonfuls (about half or more of your paste according to taste) to a can of coconut milk in a pan on the stove.
Add this coconut curry sauce to a veg stir fry with rice. It’s absolutely mind blowing topping your coconut curry stir fry with my Easy Vegan Chicken!
Best Red Thai Curry Paste
- hand blender or food processor (could use pestle and mortar if desired)
Best Red Thai Curry Paste
- 1/2 tsp coriander seed (or ground coriander)
- 1 tsp cumin seed (or ground cumin)
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns (or 1/2 tsp ground black pepper)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (seeds removed and chopped)
- 2 medium red chilies
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger (or 1-2 tsp ground ginger)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh turmeric (or 1 tsp ground turmeric)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (plus more to taste)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 medium lime, zested and juiced (~3 Tbsp or 45 ml juice as original recipe is written)
- 6 stalks green onions
- 2 tbsp oil of choice (sub water if avoiding fat)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or coconut sugar
- Blend until a paste forms. (Some small chunks can remain, you do not need to make it completely smooth).
- Add your curry paste to any meal! It is great added to a can of coconut for a delicious vegan thai curry. (Add about half the paste to 1 can coconut and store the rest).
- Store curry paste in an air tight container in the refrigerator up to 10 days or more. For longer storage, transfer paste to an ice cube tray, freeze, then store in a freezer-safe bag up to 1 month.