A little sweet, savoury, and a touch of tanginess, this Easy Vegan Teriyaki Sauce recipe is the perfect addition to vegan stir fries, a marinade for tofu, plant-based chicken and more! This recipe is super easy and can be made in a quick 5 minutes!
Pros of Making a Homeade Vegan Teriyaki Sauce
There are many reasons to skip the store-bought condiments and start from scratch. Most store-bought condiments contain unhealthy ingredients like artificial additives and high amounts of added salt and processed sugars. They also rarely even taste that great, and are often not vegan! This homeade teriyaki sauce recipe makes a sauce using whole ingredients from your pantry. There’s no preservatives and this recipe is much lower in sugar content than other teriyaki sauce recipes.
Another major plus to making homeade condiments like this one is you get a better flavour. This vegan teriyaki sauce uses sesame oil and vegetable broth to give a super delicious flavour. If you’d like to add a little spice, throw in some dried chilli or red pepper flakes.
How to Use Your Sauce
Once made, your vegan teriyaki sauce will last in the fridge for about 1 full week. Be sure to let your sauce cool completely before transferring to an air tight jar or container.
Serve your teriyaki sauce with a lovely vegetable stir fry, or as a marinade for tofu. It also works great as a dipping sauce for asian cuisine and appetizers. If you’re making a stir fry, amp it up by making my Quick & Easy Vegan Seitan Chicken or Super Easy Vegan Seitan Steak. Add the vegan chicken or steak to stir fried vegetables and top with a healthy drizzle of your teriyaki. A sprinkle of sesame seeds or finely chopped green onions can be used for presentation as a garnish to elevate your dish.
Easy Vegan Teriyaki Sauce
Vegan Teriyaki Sauce
- 1/2 cup soy sauce or tamari
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp sugar (I use coconut sugar)
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar (or sub white vinegar)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp freshly grated ginger (or sub 1/4 tsp dried ginger powder)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water (can sub flour)
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes for spice (optional)
- 1/4 tsp sesame seeds (optional)
Vegan Teriyaki Sauce
- Whisk together 1 tbsp of cornstarch (or flour) and the water and set aside.
- Add all other ingredients to a pot and bring to a low boil.
- Whisk in the cornstarch (or flour) mixture and let simmer over low heat until thick.
- Begin with 1 tbsp cornstarch and add an additional 1/2 tbsp if the sauce isn't thickening enough. It thickens more as it cools, so avoid adding too much!
- Whisk occasionally to prevent any clumps from forming.
- Serve with stir fry, tofu, or any or your favourite asian-inspired meals!